Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name...

So, one of the first things I had to do when starting this blog was think up a name. That meant trying to figure out the main theme of my story. Oh yeah, infertility-got that! But, I knew that there was more to my story than just plain old vanilla infertility. One of my main infertility issues, something that gets mentioned over and over again, is the fact that I am....weight, I mean wait...here it comes...the fact that I am overweight. It's one of the first things that gets mentioned by any doctor I visit, noticed by mere acquaintances and is usually followed up with the key phrase "the simplest thing to do to help with your health problems/infertility is to try to lose some weight." Duh...like I'm not already aware of that. Well, if I didn't realize how much it impacted my fertility in the beginning, I certainly know now!" So, there you have it. Two of my biggest nemesis: infertility and fatty tissue. I wanted my blog to reflect this somehow. A blog title that would allude to the biggest issues in what has now become my race against time for a child to call my own.

I played around with some titles:

-Weighting to Exhale-Taken. Who knew there were so many blogs out there dealing with compulsive eating?

-I played around with synonyms for "weight" and "pregnancy" like Expectantly Weighting or Weighting Expectantly They just didn't sound right.

-Then I thought my BA in English had finally paid off with a little play on words straight from Dickens = "Great Expectations" (I knew taking that "Victorian Literature" class was a smart move!)-Again taken. Not just by the obvious Dickensian fans, but strangely enough a Google search came up with a type of site that starts with a "p" and rhymes with "corn". I didn't even want to go there--those repressed Victorians. I should have known better.

-So, I began thinking about my goals:lose some weight, embrace aerobic exercise, and conquer my infertility. What makes you think of all those things? Bingo: "The Baby Race". The more I thought of it, the more I realized it's not just a marathon for me. It's more like a triathlon: swimming (sperm), cycling (ovaries), and running (to beat that ticking biological clock). Eureka! I found my blog name! It's not just any old triathlon. It's My Infertility Triathlon. With a little luck, I'll be swimming, cycling, and running my way not only towards weight loss, but more importantly towards my fertility goal; an ovulation cycle that actually gets me pregnant and results in a healthy baby boy or girl.

No comments: